How Can I Find Out About Social Work Licensing in My State? Print
Written by Linda May Grobman, ACSW, LSW   

Social work licensing in the U.S. varies from state to state.  If you are moving to a new state or preparing for a new social work career, it is wise to find out what is required in your state and/or in states or jurisdictions where you may wish to work as a social worker.

Some states license social workers at the BSW level, some at the MSW level, and some at both. Some also have various other categories of licensure, such as a clinical license. The titles of social work licenses vary from state to state. For example, LCSW may mean "Licensed Clinical Social Worker" in one state and "Licensed Certified Social Worker" in another.

In general, social work licensing requires a social work degree from a CSWE-accredited degree program. Most states also require that licensees pass an exam, pay a fee, and meet other requirements.

Licensing requirements and other information can be found at the Association of Social Work Boards Web site at  Find information about categories of licensure, requirements, and how to contact the social work licensing board in each state/jurisdiction.